The U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) have selected 17 projects to receive funding under the FY2017 Positive Train Control (PTC) Grant Program.
A total of $197 million in the PTC grant funding will be awarded to 13 states, as authorized under the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.
The FTA and FRA published a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) in July 2016, announcing the availability of Federal funding for the PTC Grant Program. These funds will provide financial assistance to states, local governments, and public agencies for the implementation of positive train control systems to improve safety. PTC is a federally mandated wireless communication system that can override a conductor to slow or stop a train to prevent an accident.
The 17 projects are listed below, with several states receiving two awards, one for the state rail system and a second award for a regional rail system:
• California – Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board ($21.6 million); Southern California Regional Rail Authority ($3.2 million);
• Florida – South Florida Regional Transportation Authority ($31.6 million); Florida Department of Transportation ( $1.8 million);
• Illinois – Commuter Rail Division of the RTA ($20.1 million); Illinois Department of Transportation ($18.8 million);
• Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority ($7.8 million);
• Maryland Transit Administration ($9.4 million);
• Missouri Department of Transportation ($12 million);
• New Jersey Transit Corporation ($10 million);
• New Mexico – Rio Metro Regional Transit District ($3.6 million);
• New York State Department of Transportation ($33.7 million);
• Oregon – Oregon Department of Transportation ($1.2 million); Tri-County Metropolitan Transportation District of Oregon ($2.7 million);
• Pennsylvania – Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority ($5.8 million);
• Texas – Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority ($9.7 million);
• And Utah Transit Authority ($3.5 million).
Originally, only $25 million was to be awarded to railroads, suppliers, and state and local governments for implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC). However, FTA and FRA received 27 proposals from 16 states requesting $455 million in federal funds, indicating significant demand for funding to expedite the implementation of PTC systems, the agenices said. The administration told applicants that they will give preference to projects that would provide the greatest level of public safety benefits.
Importing and managing the logistics of your precious freight is no easy task. Compliance to U.S. Customs & Border Patrol is essential to your cargo clearing customs. Use a freight forwarder to lower your chances of having shipment delays and to oversee all of your international freight logistics. Contact a customs broker to file your ISF and issue any pre-alerts to avoid penalties and delays, and arrange your ocean freight and imports customs clearance.